I don’t buy packaged bars very often (too much sugar, not so natural). That said, my kids and I do love a good granola bar, so when I received a copy of Catherine McCord’s new Weelicious Lunches, the first recipe I tried was the Chocolate Chip Granola Bar recipe.
This cookbook is packed with healthy, fun lunch and snack recipes kids will love. Seriously, if you’re in a lunch packing rut, this will get your creative juices flowing.
Scroll down for the Weelicious Chocolate Chip Granola Bar Recipe AND a chance to win a Weelicious Lunches cookbook!
Weelicious Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips (or raisins or other dried fruit)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the oats, flour, coconut, brown sugar, chocolate chips and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the canola oil, vanilla and honey.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir to combine.
5. Spread the granola mixture on the baking sheet and shape it inot a 9 x 13-inch rectangle that’s about 1 inch thick.
First I dumped the granola mixture on the parchment-lined baking sheet…
Then I put a second sheet of parchment paper on top, and used a second baking sheet to press the top and sides into a rectangle shape.
Tempting rectangle of granola ready to be baked
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and dry to the touch.
7. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then cut into 3 x 1-inch bars using a serrated knife. These bars will remain fresh for several weeks if wrapped individually in parchment or wax paper.
Sliced granola bars ready to be wrapped in plastic for a week’s snack supply
These delicious granola bars never last long in our house.
If you’d like a chance to win a copy of the fabulous Weelicious Lunches cookbook, packed with kid-friendly recipes like PB&J Pancake Sandwiches, Cinnamon Pita Chips, Banana Dog Bites, Pizza Muffins, Whole Wheat Cheddar Crackers, Mexican Muffins and Pretzel Bites, to name just a few, please leave a comment on this blog post.
Congratulations to Sandy for winning the Weelicious Lunches Cookbook!
– Giveaway closes Friday, November 29 at midnight.
– Leave one comment on this post to enter.
– The winner will be chosen via random.org and announced after winner is selected.
– If you win, please respond within one week to claim your prize. Thank you!